Paxil's Rutgers Football Blog

Thoughts On Any Other Sport Post'em Here
Forum rules
Thoughts On Any Other Sport Post'em Here

GM Conduct:

it shouldn’t have to be said, but it does and has come into play. Please use common sense when on the forums, via PM , Slack, or via E-mail. Please treat each other with dignity and respect. Any inter-GM issues will be dealt with via an Office Holders’ vote.
Eddie Paxil-Commish
Site Admin

Paxil's Rutgers Football Blog

Post by Eddie Paxil-Commish » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:16 pm

Ok. I figure I paid good money for this site. I'm gonna do at least one thing with it that is completely selfish. I'm gonna blog about my beloved Rutgers Scarlet Knights. Read if you want, ignore if you want, but every game I'm gonna post something about them. My wife will attest that while I love the Jets my mood for the week is really set by how Rutgers presented themselves.

Game 1: Defeated Washington St. 41-38

What a HUGE WIN!. On the road against Mike Leach's, "Air Raid Offense."

Positives- Our running game was stellar! Paul James when healthy will be as good a Big Ten back as you can find. He reminds me of Marcus Allen. Our second back Desmon Peoples who saw some time was very good as well. When you have a good running game a lot of mention has to go to the O-Line, and that's true here On the other side of the ball our Defensive front 7 were amazing especially Weak side Linebacker Steve Longa. He was everywhere, and when he seemed to go down with an injury my heart was in my throat.

Negatives- The person that doesn't watch Rutgers every week will tell you that the reason we've never reached the heights we did in 2006 again is because we've never replaced RB Ray Rice. I call bologna on that. The truth is we've never replaced QB Mike Teel. (Though we would've had Schiano not whiffed on Tom Savage.) Gary Nova is yet another inconsistent QB. He throws a beautiful 78 yard bomb on the first snap of the game for a TD. Then later throws a horrid Interception after the defense got a Red Zone stop where he was over-anticipating the receiver. Now I'm not sure if the following is a negative or not. The secondary. They got an early pick which was good. But they gave up over 500 yards passing and 38 points. (Mind you Wash St. only rushed for 15 yards so they threw a lot.) So was they secondary bad or was it just a result of the type of offense they faced and allowing less than 40 points was good. We'll see.

Next Game: Vs. Howard September 6 at Noon Eastern on the Big Ten Network
Eddie Paxil
OMLB Commissioner
New Jersey Pioneers GM (2025-Present) Continental Expansion League Champions 2025 and 2026
Miami Marlins GM (2014-2024) NL East Champions 2016, 2019, & 2022

Eddie Paxil-Commish
Site Admin

Re: Paxil's 2014 Rutgers Football Blog

Post by Eddie Paxil-Commish » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:25 pm

Game 2: Defeated Howard 38-25

We were supposed to win. We were supposed to crush them, and we kinda did. :?

Positives- Our starting offense, defense, and special teams were stellar. The lead was 31-7 at the half. All starters are healthy after the game.

Negatives- We let them score first thanks to a long punt return and a strong first drive. We might have taken our foot off the accelerator a little too soon for my taste. The backups played down to Howard.

Next Game: Vs. Penn State September 13 on the Big Ten network. Our first official Big Ten Game.
Eddie Paxil
OMLB Commissioner
New Jersey Pioneers GM (2025-Present) Continental Expansion League Champions 2025 and 2026

Eddie Paxil-Commish
Site Admin

Post by Eddie Paxil-Commish » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:50 pm

Game 3: Lost to Penn St. 13-10

We had this game right where we wanted it at half time. However, as I said, Nova is too inconsistent. The team represented itself well though. I consider this a good showing in our Big Ten debut.

Positives- Our defense was stupendous. They just kept getting put in a bad situation. The special teams were stupendous. It feels like we block a kick every week.

Negatives- QB Play. Gary Nova threw 5 interceptions. If you keep giving the other team the ball they're eventually going to do something with it. The running game wasn't there, but that's because Penn St. loaded up for Paul James and said, "Nova if you can beat us, beat us." And he couldn't.

Next Game: at Navy September 20 on the CBS Sports Network.
Eddie Paxil
OMLB Commissioner

Eddie Paxil-Commish
Site Admin

Post by Eddie Paxil-Commish » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:55 am

Game 4: Won at Navy Midshipmen 31-24

We handled our business in this one. The score appears closer than the game actually was.

Positives- Our defense was once again stupendous. They kept that Navy Option Running Game in check. We actually turned it around on Navy as we ran a ton on them.

Negatives- First and foremost, we lost our star RB Paul James for the season. Luckily we've shown to have some capable backups. Nova didn't lose us this game and didn't really hurt us, but I'm still listing him as a negative. He can't win us a game if we ever need him to.

Next Game: vs. Tulane September 26 on ESPNews.
Eddie Paxil
OMLB Commissioner

Eddie Paxil-Commish
Site Admin

Post by Eddie Paxil-Commish » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:58 pm

Game 5: Won vs. Tulane Green Wave 31-6

We handled our business in this one too. Really the only thing Tulane was able to do was the 80 yard run for a TD. (Which they followed with a missed XP.) They also befuddled Nova a little bit at the start of the second half when they switched from man to man to zone.

Positives- I'm gonna put the Dave Krieg of Rutger's history right up front. Nova is inconsistent he even was a bit in this game, but when he's good he's REAL good. He had a 96.9 QBR in this one. Threw for almost 300 yds. 4 TD and only 1 pick. The real story is he passed Mike Teel for most career TD passes. Our defense was great. Special teams were good as usual

Negatives- Only the start of the second half where Nova wasn't quite as sharp when Tulane came out switching to a zone.

I must also add. It's time for the Rutgers' boys to put their big boy pants on. They enter the meat of their new Big Ten schedule starting next week. This isn't the AAC anymore. We've got Michigan followed by Ohio St. followed by Nebarska followed by Wisconsin. Big boy games.

Next Game: vs. Michigan October 4th on the Big Ten Network.
Eddie Paxil
OMLB Commissioner

JGil050

Post by JGil050 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:32 pm

I have enjoyed reading your take on Rutgers football this year. Hoping they can continue the beatings that Michigan has been taking this year. Good luck!

Eddie Paxil-Commish
Site Admin

Post by Eddie Paxil-Commish » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:03 am

JGil050 wrote:Hoping they can continue the beatings that Michigan has been taking this year. Good luck!
From your lips to God's ears.

...and thanks for reading.
Eddie Paxil
OMLB Commissioner

Eddie Paxil-Commish
Site Admin

Post by Eddie Paxil-Commish » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:41 pm

Game 6: Won vs. Michigan Wolverines 26-24

I know Michigan is down, but I'm still proud of the boys for this our first Big Ten Win. We competed all the way through, and kept Michigan from taking it at the end,

Positives- Gary Nova might have had his career game as a member of Rutgers. 400 yards and 3 TD. This was also a great game for what seems to be a new weapon for Nova in Andrew Turzilli who had 2 TD and 94 yards. The defense allowed a TD with about 9 min left making it 26-24, but the Wolverines never got close to FG range to win this one.

Negatives- Without Paul James the running game wasn't there, against this, a more athletic team.

Games 7-9 : Lost at Ohio St. 56-17
Lost at Nebraska 42-24
Lost vs. Wisconsin 37-0

I've grouped these three games together, because they all are indicative of one thing. We're not ready for the big boy games in the Big Ten. That point culminated in getting shutout by Wisconsin at home. A team that doesn't even have a QB who can complete a wide open pass, but who's running game just ran us over making it no issue.

Positives- Not much to speak of. We scored some against Nebraska, but the game was already decided. I really thought we'd represent better than this.

Negatives- The offense was not up to the challenge, and the Defense was overmatched. As I mentioned Wisconsin doesn't even really have a QB, but it didn't matter. Their top two RBs and that punishing O-Line just ran us over to the tune of 298 yardss. Rushing, 4TD, and a Net of 6.5 yards/carry. Gary Nova also got hurt against Nebraska and wasn't quite right against Wisconsin. iIn both of those games we got our first look at Redshirt Freshman QB Chris Laviano. He can run a bit, but other than that I don't know if he's the guy after this season.

Next Game: vs. Indiana November 15 Big Ten Network
Eddie Paxil
OMLB Commissioner

Eddie Paxil-Commish
Site Admin

Re: Paxil's Rutgers Football Blog

Post by Eddie Paxil-Commish » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:26 pm

Reviving this! I know I'm about to become a Seton Hall guy, but they don't have a football team. So I will continue to root for Rutgers in Football, Lacrosse, Wrestling, Rugby, Powerboating, Ultimate Frisbee, and Quiddich. (Yes Quiddich)

The 2017 Season is Here:

Game 1: Lost to Pre Season number 8 Washington 30-14

Positives- Lexington, Kentucky boy Kyle Bolin looked good at QB. He was efficient in terms of completions they were also 9 of 19 on 3rd down, and while he did through a couple of picks he also threw a couple of TDs. Chris Ash has already said after the game that there is no more QB discussion for this season Kyle is Rutgers' starting QB for 2017. Good move. He's a former 4 star recruit and a Redshirt Senior transfer with winning experience at Louisville. So it's one year and he can help with the rebuild and continued transition. The offensive line was tremendous other than on a couple of specific drives where they couldn't get a first down after it was 2nd and short. But Rutgers held the ball for over 38 minutes. Another positive was the defense. For just over two and a half quarters the defense confounded a highly regarded QB in Browning. he barely ended up over 50% in completions. Washington was also 3 for 11 on third down. One of Washington's TDs was a punt return TD. The biggest positive is this is not last year's team at all. We're no where near a top Big Ten team, but we will not be a doormat that lays down. Someone let Wisconsin, Nebraska, Michigan, and Penn State know these boys are going to hit them in jaw when they play them, and we the boys might steal a couple of those.

Negatives- As is typical of an upstart team surprising a contender that outclasses them athletically in college football Rutgers couldn't keep Washington at bay. Especially when they gave them some field position. For over 2.5 Quarters Rutgers dominated Washington, but Washington was ahead 10-7 because of a punt return TD. Then they got it together. The RBs had moments, but someone needs to separate themselves.

Future Considerations- Bolin only has a year of eligibility so he's here for transition. After this season it's going to either be Joe's little brother Tom Flacco who transferred in from Western Michigan or East Orange native who played two blocks from my school at Jersey City's St. Peter's Prep Jonathan Lewis. Great young talent too. Who's a good twitter follow if you want to know about Rutgers football https://twitter.com/kinglew__?lang=en . Of course, Jake will probably say go with Lewis because Flacco is probably overpaid and old at 22.

Next Game: Vs. Eastern Michigan September 9 at 3:30 Eastern on the Big Ten Network!
Eddie Paxil
OMLB Commissioner

Jaketherake_Orioles

Re: Paxil's Rutgers Football Blog

Post by Jaketherake_Orioles » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:38 pm

Don't think I didn't read this Eddie.... Joe Flacco IS overpaid that's not even a question.... If he were still 26 he wouldnt be... But he isn't

MD TERPS #MIRACLESEASON #PIGGYSTRONG