Alfredo Despaigne joins list of Free Agent Defectors!

Articles from the Foreign Baseball Leagues to Accrue AP
Forum rules
Items about Foreign Baseball Should be posted here.

GM Conduct:

it shouldn’t have to be said, but it does and has come into play. Please use common sense when on the forums, via PM , Slack, or via E-mail. Please treat each other with dignity and respect. Any inter-GM issues will be dealt with via an Office Holders’ vote.
Eddie Paxil-Commish
Site Admin

Alfredo Despaigne joins list of Free Agent Defectors!

Post by Eddie Paxil-Commish » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:18 pm

AP-November 16, 2015

Normally, when a Cuban baseball player defects it's not exactly shocking news. However, all signs over the years pointed to Alfredo Despaigne being fairly loyal to the Cuban government. He was slated to be the first player allowed to leave the Cuban league and go play in Mexico. However, the government kept delaying letting him leave. Well, Despaignee had enough and changed the game. Today he arrived in Costa Rica where he has been granted asylum.

Through a translator Despaigne said the following," I waited and waited for the people in charge to clear me to go to Mexico and it never happened. Like any athlete I want to play with the best competition I can so I can measure my abilities against them. After feeling like I'd been lied to I took matters into my own hands. Now I'll get to play against the very best."

Despaigne is not alone in all there are 8 defectors that are set to become free agents in he MLB. That list includes:

RF Alfredo Despaigne
SS Andy Ibanez
SS Roberto Baldoquin
RF Yozzen Cuesta
SS Dainer Moreira
2B Hector Olivera
CL Diosdani Castillo
MR Vladimir Gutierrez

This news is certainly a black eye on the Cuban government. After the US lifted their economic embargo on Cuba two months ago the Cuban government has yet to make any major changes to their policies. However, AP has learned from sources close to Miguel-Diaz Canel, the Vice President of Cuba, that an announcement about a significant policy change is coming. This policy will have a major effect on baseball, and the country'r nationally run baseball league. Stay tuned.
Eddie Paxil
OMLB Commissioner
New Jersey Pioneers GM (2025-Present) Continental Expansion League Champions 2025 and 2026
Miami Marlins GM (2014-2024) NL East Champions 2016, 2019, & 2022