2022 NL East Preview

Articles from the National League to Accrue AP
Forum rules
National League News Items Should be posted here.

GM Conduct:

it shouldn’t have to be said, but it does and has come into play. Please use common sense when on the forums, via PM , Slack, or via E-mail. Please treat each other with dignity and respect. Any inter-GM issues will be dealt with via an Office Holders’ vote.

Who will win the NL East?

Phillies
20%
Mets
60%
Nationals
No votes
Marlins
20%
Braves
No votes

Total votes: 5

hmason91

2022 NL East Preview

Post by hmason91 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:43 pm

Philadelphia Phillies: 94-68

Key Hitters:
The Phillies boast one of the top first baseman in the entire league in Will Benson. At only 23 years old, the future is so bright for Benson. Benson has the combination of power and contact, which makes him a force in the Phillies lineup. Speedster JP Crawford has been a force on the base paths for many years. If he can get on base at a higher rate, Crawford can be a huge asset this year. The Phillies have a number of other young bats that have yet to reach their prime. This will be a solid hitting team for years to come.

Key Pitchers:
The Phillies also have a large bunch of young arms that are ML ready. 26 year old Mitch Payne, a 20 game winner last season, looks to headline this staff. David Lopez has been a productive #2, and Martin Perez saw great success last year as well.

Wild Card:
Former #2 overall pick, Mitch Payne got hurt this spring training is had to have Radical nerve (elbow) decompression surgery. He is out for 6 months. This was a huge blow to the team, and the Phillies will need to figure out how to get by without him this year.

Conclusion:
The Mitch Payne injury really hurt the Phillies, and it will take everything they have to hold off the Mets or Nationals from overtaking them in the division.

New York Mets: 93-69

Key Hitters:
After the trade of Lewis Brinson, a new Met bat will need to step up as a leader of the team. The top option might be Kolby Copeland. Kolby had a career year last year, and will look to expand on it this coming year. Connor Lind also broke out last year and showed that he has some major pop in his bat.

Key Pitchers:
Boasting one of the best bullpens in the league led by Hector Fernandez, Michael Blazek, Jose Medina, and Kevin Gausman, the Mets are able to erase many of the mistakes that the starting rotation may have. The rotation is made up of veteran arms like Yordano Ventura, Drew Pomeranz, and hopes that young arms like Ashe Russell can step up and be productive.

Wild Card:
If some of the younger arms can be productive in the rotation, and the team can handle scoring runs without Lewis Brinson, the Mets will be all right.

Conclusion:
The Mets have been at the top of the division for a few years, and I think that even without Brinson, they will be at the top of the division when this season is over.

Washington Nationals: 87-75

Key Hitters:
Cadyn Grenier is one of the top bats on the Nationals roster, but has yet to play up to his talent level. Having an off year last season, Cadyn will look to bounce back in 2022. Alonzo Jones is another talented bat who has yet to produce to his level. Beyond these two young bats, the Nationals lack any big time run producers.

Key Pitchers:
The Nationals rely heavily on youngster Kyle Molnar to headline their rotation. The rest of the arms are medium talent guys who are either past their prime, or yet to get close to their prime.

Wild Card:
If the National youngsters can all take steps forward they may be in the wild card hunt near the end of the season.

Conclusion:
Talking to management they said, “For now I think the preseason prediction for the Nats is accurate +-2. The Nats are looking for a multi year rebuilding project to address all of the neglected pieces from Rookie ball to the front office.” Also an anonymous source said the GM is frustrated with the manager, Joey Edgar, because Smaller thinks he is incompetent and Smaller is baffled how he was signed to a long term deal.

Miami Marlins: 66-96

Key Hitters:
I’m not too big of a fan of many of the Marlin bats. Dayan Viciedo can be a force in the lineup, and Ryan McMahon has been a consistent threat for many years. Jake Jessell exploded last year and had a career year coming out of nowhere.

Key Pitchers:
Jose Fernandez is an elite force on the mound, and was recognized as such with the Cy Young award last year. Kyle Crick may be a huge addition to the Marlins lineup, and Addison Albright is an elite closer at only 25 years old.

Wild Card:
The Marlins need a team effort is each of their wins. Jose Fernandez cannot pitch in every game, so some of the players getting close to past their prime will need to muster up some talent from father time.

Conclusion:
Quote from Marlins manager Yves Romero on the predictions that the Marlins will finish as far as last, “I guarantee we will be a playoff team this year. As usual we are being underrated.” Quote from Eddie, “I am in 100% agreement with our manager. The notion that we won’t make the playoffs is laughable.”
I could see the Marlins finishing anywhere from 1st to 3rd in this division. I think they will be at worst a wild card contender, and they have the capability to run away with this division if a few things go their way.

Atlanta Braves: 62-100

Key Hitters:
The Braves have a mix of young talented bats like Dazmon Cameron, Juan Cardeaz, and Jacob Abbott, but then also have a mix of veteran bats like Brandon Belt, Matt Davidson, and Cordan Joseph.

Key Pitchers:
The Braves don’t have a single pitcher that I’d call a Key pitcher. Maybe Rex Casey could be solid.

Wild Card:
There is no chance the Braves make the playoffs.

Conclusion:
“The Braves hope to not suck so much that they lose all fan interest this year.”
I predict a few trades of some veteran bats will be coming soon.

**Records came from the Pre-Season Predictions**

Eddie Paxil-Commish
Site Admin

Re: 2022 NL East Preview

Post by Eddie Paxil-Commish » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:03 pm

In speaking recently with Brewers GM I made an observation on building a team. Perhaps you guys agree perhaps you don't. I think there are really 4 areas a GM can dip into when building a team. You can mix and match from them depending on your approach, and as I always say there's more than one way to win. First there's investing in talent. Second, is doubling down on either offense, defense, or pitching as a strength to make it overwhelming. Third is a commitment to balance. And lastly is a commitment to a particular strategy or approach. Obviously I roll hard on three and four. It's why my teams tend to be greater as a whole than the sum of their parts. It's why I tend to destroy these predictions all the time. It's not the only way to do it, but it is my way.
Eddie Paxil
OMLB Commissioner
New Jersey Pioneers GM (2025-Present) Continental Expansion League Champions 2025 and 2026
Miami Marlins GM (2014-2024) NL East Champions 2016, 2019, & 2022

Eddie Paxil-Commish
Site Admin

Re: 2022 NL East Preview

Post by Eddie Paxil-Commish » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:45 pm

20 Points
Eddie Paxil
OMLB Commissioner
New Jersey Pioneers GM (2025-Present) Continental Expansion League Champions 2025 and 2026
Miami Marlins GM (2014-2024) NL East Champions 2016, 2019, & 2022