Trading Drafted Players Right After the Draft Debate 2

Ideas for Rules Will be Discussed and Debated Here
Eddie Paxil-Commish
Site Admin

Trading Drafted Players Right After the Draft Debate 2

Post by Eddie Paxil-Commish » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:24 pm

I want to bring this up again for debate. I'm rarely the one to bring up a rule change, but here I go. While I am still not okay with draft pick trading. I think I can get behind allowing teams to trade drafted players whenever. I think it makes sense. It still allows rebuilding teams the safeguard of having their picks without them being traded away before they take over a team for example. However, it also gives them the leeway to flip those players picked immediately.

There's another reason that I'd like this rule in place. It's a commissioner logistical one. the game still doesn't allow for our current rule of after the World Series. So when trading between the previous draft and the next one it still has the "can't trade" message. This can make checking the financials of a deal difficult. Not impossible but difficult.

Thoughts?
Eddie Paxil
OMLB Commissioner
New Jersey Pioneers GM (2025-Present) Continental Expansion League Champions 2025 and 2026
Miami Marlins GM (2014-2024) NL East Champions 2016, 2019, & 2022

Runyan99

Re: Trading Drafted Players Right After the Draft Debate 2

Post by Runyan99 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:17 pm

I don't have a strong opinion either way.

MMonroe98

Post by MMonroe98 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:21 pm

I am indifferent either way, however, if it were to go to a vote, I would vote the option that makes Eddie's job easier, AKA trading drafted players immediately.
GM - Tampa Bay Rays
2018 - 70-92
2019 - 91-71
2020 - 80-82
2021 - 87-75

DonkeyKong

Post by DonkeyKong » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:04 pm

As a rebuilding team, I'm in favor of trading recently drafted players.
Seattle Mariners

Bigkizen

Post by Bigkizen » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:07 pm

Cant you just remove the rule in game then outside of it we can still enforce not trading prospects till after the world series. Wouldnt that alleviate the problem you have when trading those players?

Id prefer not allowing straight after draft, could open up people to having conversations asking a person to pick a guy so they can make the trade you know. At least waiting till the end of the world series they cant impact the current season if theres an amazing prospect in the draft that another team would trade an Ace for, as an example.
GM for the Milwaukee Brewers
Years Managing - 10
OMLB Career Record 847-773, .523 PCT
Reputation - Outstanding
Current Outlook: Win
Playoff Appearances: 4
Championships: 3 (2023, 2024, 2025)

Welcome to the Slick Daddy Club. - Runyan99

urbscholar

Post by urbscholar » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:17 pm

Jason, I can see the same thing happening, but I'm not sure what the problem is with that happening?
GM - Detroit Tigers

Warwick Saupold for Cy Young 2018

Bigkizen

Post by Bigkizen » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:38 pm

urbscholar wrote:Jason, I can see the same thing happening, but I'm not sure what the problem is with that happening?
Even though there is a possibility its already happening (though unlikely) it just seems to be a bit of a grey area, and dont like it lol. If someone came to me with an offer like that, asking me to take someone if I wanted to trade for the player i had interest in would annoy me and id tell him where to go. Adds another layer of people trying to get more value for a player, which is already quite excessive where people have outrageous valuations for players and demanding these 'potential superstar prospects' for just a decent mid level MLB player.

Though I may be a minority with that opinion as I value my prospects quite highly.
GM for the Milwaukee Brewers
Years Managing - 10
OMLB Career Record 847-773, .523 PCT
Reputation - Outstanding
Current Outlook: Win
Playoff Appearances: 4
Championships: 3 (2023, 2024, 2025)

Welcome to the Slick Daddy Club. - Runyan99

yeliel-Dbacks

Post by yeliel-Dbacks » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:39 am

I'm in favor of trading drafted players whenever, and if it makes the job easier even better.

Eddie Paxil-Commish
Site Admin

Post by Eddie Paxil-Commish » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:00 pm

Bigkizen wrote:Cant you just remove the rule in game then outside of it we can still enforce not trading prospects till after the world series. Wouldnt that alleviate the problem you have when trading those players?
Actually this opens up a different problem. As is at least the game will tell me a player was just drafted. In your suggestion it won't. Players might slip past the rule that way.
Eddie Paxil
OMLB Commissioner
New Jersey Pioneers GM (2025-Present) Continental Expansion League Champions 2025 and 2026
Miami Marlins GM (2014-2024) NL East Champions 2016, 2019, & 2022